Being a city surrounded by sea just adds to the countless attractions of Hong Kong. You never have to worry about what to do because the sea makes it so much more convenient to plan a time out during the summers. All you have to do is gather the essentials, jump on a junk and sail out to the nearby islands while enjoying the fresh ocean breeze and getting a tan.
Here is how you should start planning for a fabulous junk trip out in the sea.
When to go?
When you should go depends mainly on the occasion you are looking to celebrate or the experience you are looking to have.
- Heading to the beaches during the day is a great time to enjoy the sun. If you have plans for a fun night then you could hire a junk out in the evening.
- Day junks are a better choice if you are looking for value for money. Also, they last as long as seven hours against the night junks that last for four.
- Always make sure to book your junk at least a month or two in advance because they get snapped up pretty fast, especially if there is a weekend or a public holiday approaching.
Where to go from?
- Junks depart from Central, Causeway Bay, Aberdeen and Sai Kung among other locations. Departing locations generally depend upon the junk company and the captain.
- If you get to stay in your final destination then you could choose Lamma for its delicious seafood, Deep Water bay for some beach action, Sai Kung, Clearwater Bay, Turtle Cove and Stanley Bay.
Which junk company to choose?
- Different companies offer different packages at different rates. From all inclusive to bring your own everything and everything in between, the offers are countless. The best choice is to go for an all inclusive one, if you don’t have a budget problem.
- Bring your own is a perfect choice for you if you want to go a little easy on your pocket. This will require a lot of planning and then stocking up your supplies well in advance.
What to pack?
- Extra clothing
- Flip flops
- Necessary medication including the ones for sea sickness
- A blow up life ring
- Shampoo, soap and other toiletries
- A camera for the perfect moments
- A dry bag to keep your valuables safe from water
- A power charger for your phone
- Junk trips are a great way to meet and befriend new people so make sure you invite a large group of friends and give them the liberty to tag their friends along and so on. Large groups have the most fun.
- If you have your list of people ready, collect the money from them before the trip commences. You do not want them to abandon at the last moment and then pay for them later.
- The back of the boat is the best place to be, to avoid feeling sea sick. You can also try bobbing about in the water for most of the day.
- Let no fear hold you back and take the jump from the top of the boat.
- Do not wander or swim alone and away from your friends.
- Keep checking the weather reports for the day you are planning your junk trip on. In case of bad weather the company usually arranges for the trip to be held on an alternative date.
Photo credit: Matt_Weibo / Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic