Thousands of Hong Kong restaurants are expected to offer discounts of 30 per cent from July 15, in a bid by the stricken catering sector to cash in on the government’s HK$36 billion (US$4.6 billion) consumption voucher scheme. This government program aims to boost its vaccination as only diners who have received their jabs can avail of the voucher’s benefits.
Eligible participants are required to sign up before they can receive their consumption vouchers, set to be released as early as August 1.
- Voucher has a value of HK$5,000 which will be disbursed in two phases (HK$2,000 by 1 August 2021 and HK$3,000 by 1 October 2021).
- Voucher can be used in retail, catering or service sectors. Notable exclusions are payment to utilities, education expenses, financial products such as insurance.
- Available to all permanent residents aged 18 or above by 18 June 2021.
- Recipients will receive their voucher through any of the following stored value platforms: Octopus card, Alipay HK, Tap & Go, WeChat Pay HK
- Registration period is from July 4 to August 14, 2021.
Registration can be done both online and through paper forms.
- You may use iAM Smart or upload a copy of their Hong Kong identity cards for authentication. Registrants who had successfully registered for the Cash Payout Scheme (“CPS”) and received payment/collected cheque before 18 June 2021 may choose to answer two questions relating to CPS registration for authentication.
2. Visit the registration page. Once you click “Start Registration” button, you will be given 45 minutes to finish your registration.
3. You can complete identity authentication through the “iAM Smart” app, or by uploading a copy of the HK identity card and inputting personal information.
4. For those who have registered and received payment under the Cash Payout Scheme last year, they may authenticate their identity using the last four digits of the telephone number registered under the scheme, and the last five digits of the account number for the bank transfer.
5. Provide the related number of the stored value facility (SVF) account for collecting the vouchers. Note that citizens must choose only one of the four designated SVF operators to collect the vouchers. The four operators are AlipayHK, Octopus, Tap & Go and WeChat Pay HK.
6. Each eligible person can only register once. Each selected SVF account can also be registered once only, which cannot be changed after the submission of registration.
7. Make a declaration regarding the “residing in Hong Kong” to complete the registration procedure.
8. Successful registrants will receive an SMS notification informing them of the registration result in around one week.
Registration using paper forms
- Download the form on the Scheme website or collect it at designated locations, including post offices (excluding mobile post offices) in different districts.
The form can also be obtained at Home Affairs Enquiry Centres of the Home Affairs Department, district social welfare offices of the Social Welfare Department, public housing estate offices and Customer Service Centre of the Hong Kong Housing Authority.
2. Complete and sign the paper form. Staple a copy of the Hong Kong identity card to the form. Fold the form and drop it into the drop boxes at around 560 collection points, including post offices in various districts.
Applicants can also drop the completed form at designated branches of Bank of China (Hong Kong), Bank of East Asia, Hang Seng Bank, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, and Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) during office hours within the registration period.
3. Note that registration forms submitted by post, fax or email will not be accepted. Registrants will then receive the SMS notification in around two weeks.