Where to Find Household Bargains in Hong Kong
Hong Kong has a reputation when it comes to being the ultimate shopper’s stop. If after a stroll in the markets of Hong Kong you still don’t think you’ve found the right product, it’s time to finally believe that it simply doesn’t exist. Even when it comes to buying household items that you think you can only get in Target or Asda, the local markets of Hong Kong don’t disappoint you.
Here is a list of local stores where you could buy household items in much lesser price as compared to those you get in the supermarkets.
- King Tak Hong Porcelain is the only shop you should look for when shopping for any and every kitchenware including dishes, storage containers to kiddy training chopsticks and cleaning supplies. Location: 126-128 Queen’s Road East in Wanchai
- Shanghai Street in Kowloon sells the best traditional bamboo steamers and luxurious industrial quality pots and pans. Shops in the street have deishes, cooking tools, cookie cutters, whimsical cake pans, chppoing boards, knives, you name it! Location: Take exit B2 from Yau Ma Tei MTR station, head east on Waterloo Road and cross left down Shanghai Street.
- Electric Supplies/ Hardware
- A string of shops are located along the Wellington street. These shops sell cables, power strips, light bulbs, fuses, plumbing material and general hardware item that include tools, tape measures, spray paint, buckets and twine. The staff is not well trained in English so make sure you carry a photo of what you want.
- Hollywood Road located at the intersection of Possession Street has a small cluster of shops that sell hardware items.
- For wood items you can check out western end of Wellington Street near Bonham Strand.
- Electronics and Gadgets
The Hong Kong Island has several large computer centers where you can buy electronics and gadgets. From cracked iPhone to computer components you will get everything here. The shops include:
- Wan Chai Computer Center (130 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, exit A4 Wan Chai MTR)
- Broadway Computer Center (2-12 Queen’s Road West in Sheung Wan)
- Golden Shopping Cente, Sham Sui Po (located at Yen Chow Street, exit D2, Sham Shui Po MTR)
- Mong Kok Computer Center (located at 8 Nelson Street, closest MTR stop id Mong Kok- E2)
- Furniture and Curtains
- Horizon Plaza in Ap Lei Chau is regarded as the furniture king of Hong Kong
- Queen’s Road East contains a line of shops that sell all kinds of furniture including traditional Chinese to sleek modern. Here you will also find shops that sell curtains and custom made cushions.
- Hopewell Centre is a great place to start from when shopping for customized children’s furniture
- Lighting and Bath Fixtures
- Lockhart Road between O’Brien and Wan Chai is a must visit when shopping for light fixtures and bathroom fittings
- Morrison Hill Road in Causeway Bay has shops that have a great collection of light fixtures.
- Clothes for children
- Shops along the sides of Li Yuen Street East sell a mixture of brands for children clothing. With affordable prices all you need to do is check the item you are purchasing for any flaw.
- Kid and Kids on the 19th floor for Li Dong Building is an inexpensive place for children formal wear and costumes.
- Smock Shop on the 2nd floor of Star Ferry Terminal in TST is a great place to buy classic clothes for children
- Apple Mall in Stanley Market probably offers the largest selection of kids’ clothing outside of a department store or shopping mall. Popular brands such as Ralph Lauren, Gap, Carter’s, Oshkosh, Verbaudet, and more are often available.
- Clothes for adults
- Outlets in Wanchai and Central offer bargain basement prices on adult clothing
- In Sham Shui Po head to the clothes market on and around Cheung Sha Wan Road. Bargains galore with everything including menswear, outdoor wear, children’s clothes and accessories and women’s clothes
- Fa Yeun Street in Mongkok is known as the sports shoes central. From latest looks to great prices, you get it all.
- Footwear Supermarket located on 116 Austin Road in TST has a huge collection of athletic shoes of all popular brands. You get amazing deals too.
- For fashionable party wear for ladies, Des Voues Road in Central is where you must go to.
- Stanley Market is a one stop shop for XXL ski jackets to baby sized wet suits.
- For fashionable swimwear try stalls on Tai Yuen Street in Wanchai Market.