With innumerable job opportunities and options for entertainment, Hong Kong is an amazing place to live for expats. The first step towards preparing to leave for Hong Kong is to get the documents ready as soon as you can. If they are set to expire in the near future then you must get them renewed.
Before you leave your place to start a new life in Hong Kong make sure you have the following things ticked off of your check list.
- Research: Research is necessary to learn about the country’s culture, history and the lifestyle. This knowledge will help you adjust to the new environment in less time.
- Visas and permits
- Vaccines for family members
- Restrictions or taxes on shipped household items
- International Shipping and Moving: It takes nothing less than a month to ship your belongings across international borders. Plan well in advance by obtaining quotes and taxes involved in shipping your belongings from various international moving and shipping companies.
- Vaccines and quarantines for pets: If you have a pet that you are taking with you then
- Make sure it gets the necessary vaccination.
- Obtain the identification microchip
- Find a pet carrier
If not then allow enough time for it to find a new home.
- Insurance and Insurance policies: As insurance requirements, availability and limits vary throughout the world you need to determine them according to the requirements in Hong Kong.
- Vehicle Insurance- If you are planning to use your vehicle internationally then make sure you have the insurance for the same.
- Property Insurance- International personal property insurance, which can include transit and destination coverage, protects items damaged during the relocation process. Some insurance providers specialize in relocation and expatriate insurance.
- Health Insurance- Make sure you have an individual policy that protects you worldwide, including medical protection and evacuation services.
- Birth and marriage certificates
- Naturalization, passport, green card, proof of citizenship, etc.
- Social security cards
- Subscriptions and Forward Mail: Cancel all your subscriptions for magazines, newsletter and mails etc before you relocate.
- Vaccination, medical and dental records of your family
- Academic records and diplomas
- VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) Phone Service: VOIP service is an affordable means for you, as an expat to make local, long distance and international calls. You are charged monthly for a VOIP subscription.
- Employment records
- Proof of residency (utility bill, statement, etc)
- Living will and testament
- Bank and Credit Card Accounts: Inform all your banks before relocating and take online banking into account to make transfer of funds easier.
- International Driving Permit: Check if your license is nearing expiration and get it renewed. Also get an international driving permit/ license (IDP/L).
- Tax Rules: The rules for paying taxes differ according to countries. Check them out and gather the necessary documents.
- Flight and Hotel Reservation: Once you have decided the travel date, immediately book the flight tickets and make reservations for a room at a hotel you will stay in upon arrival.
Photo credit: Pixabay CC0 Public Domain